Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Phasing - Why I love it, why it is amazing, and why it is shittyI

I love Phasing, it's great. My character feels like they are progressing through some form of time, it also feels like I'm having some form of affect on the world as a whole. It completely lends itself to narrating a story that the Developers want to, and have to tell, especially within an IP such as WoW. It allows for me, as a player, to do that "Burn a Barn" quest, and not see it switch between painted on flames to completely OK in mere moments. No, when implemented with certain quests, you will after a certain point, always see that barn burning, or better yet, burnt down from said fire.

Why I think it is amazing is in the same vein of thought. Not many, if any, MMORPG's have or had a system similar to this, where the actual game world changed through the player and his or her groups actions. It is really believeable and many times puts me in the story, right there in the action. It captures that storytelling feel of Warcraft 3 and my immersion into the game lore as a whole. Instead of in theory of doing these quests, the alliance is pushing ahead, I now in fact do see the forces of the scourge being whittled away in weakening defenses, and watch as the lines incrementally get pushed back through my efforts. This gives me a great feeling of accomplishment, that I did infact achieve something with that quest instead of an arbitrary number floating accross my screen telling my how much closer I am to my Exp or Gold goals.

Why I hate it, many times it is used to very small effect, and in not so noticeable ways up until you hit the Icecrown and Storm Peak areas. up until that point there is only a few minor changes here and there. The Dragonblight quest for Wrathgate being the very very prominent exception to this. Another large problem is, if a guildy or friend is before this pivotal point, as far as I know, I cannot interact with that person in the specific area s/he needs help with, since in my world, the alliance has already pushed back the scourge and defeated Elite Mob XXYZZ thanks to my help. This is very promlematic and a work around to circumvent the phasing to allow higher ups to help their friends, who many be completely boned in completing their quest due to lack of people.

Now in Blizzards defense, none of the quests that trigger a phasing event, to my knowledge, require a group, whilst they do pit you against terrible elites, many times they also supply a horn of some sort to allow you to call for a similarly leveled, compared to the enemy elite, ally character. Though I still feel that a -just in case- clause should be created and an ability to go back in time to help an ally would be extremely useful.

In other news, I hit level 80 on my Death Knight, and spent only a couple days working on my Epic Flyer training which I was able to achieve in short order. I didn't farm and work the Auction House at all with this character, though I did get a loaner of 1,000gold from my other character as seed money for bags and such. Though even without that seed money it would have only taken me 2 or 3 more days to get the gold required. As accoridng to my stastics on the armory I was making somewhere in the area of 400-450 gold a day.

Anyways, happy questing/pvping/pveing.

~Xi

3 comments:

  1. Once again grats on the level 80, sounds like you had fun doing it instead of begrudginly leveling another 10 levels forced upon you by the newest expansion (although I'm guessing the introduction of the Death Knight class helped some in those regards.)

    Good post and I look forward to experiencing the phasing concept myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "This gives me a great feeling of accomplishment, that I did infact achieve something with that quest ..."

    But you didn't!

    You demonstrably did not!

    This is the sort of thing that drives me mad with fury and contempt: it is clearly more satisfying to have a real impact on the game world, therefore the answer is to weave an elaborate illusion over your perception of said world in order to make you believe you're special.

    In fact, that's the main reason I hate WoW so very much. It goes to such great lengths to make you feel like you're single-handedly saving the world from total evil, piling on the ridiculous shining artifacts of legendary destruction to let you slay world-shattering creatures of elemental power, while at the same time making sure your actions will have absolutely no impact whatsoever on the lives of those around you. This isn't the reason I stopped playing, strictly speaking, but it certainly didn't help.

    According to me, you are wrong about everything!

    Good DAY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sup Ved, long time no see (although I've only seen you in the virtual world and more often than not simply posts by you, but you know what I mean).

    Not so sure I follow the real impact in a imaginary MMO world vs the imaginary impact on the imaginary MMO world concept. Care to share some examples?

    ReplyDelete