Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The importance of a responsive UI

Now that I've gone back to WoW I can really say what bugged me about WAR's UI. It wasn't responsive enough for me. In WAR there was an innate set up time between my hitting a button (or trying to activate a skill) and the animation occuring or the game even registering the press at all. This got annoying, extremely so. I never felt the even minor connection of me pressing a button and getting an immediate effect visible with my avatar.

Even if it is simply me starting a cast sequence, I immediately see this happen in WoW on a mage, or feel the THUNK of my weapon when I hit that skill. Even though both games share the same innate Global Cooldown timer of 1.5 seconds, WoW just FEELS more responsive all the time. Sluggishness just doesn't sit well with me.

~Xi

3 comments:

  1. And this is exactly why so many refer to the good ole "WoW polish".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not just "WoW Polish" but generally the "Blizzard Polish". When they do it, damnit it shines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point! They haven't released anything in so long its easy to forget they make games other than WoW. Can't wait for Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, etc.

    ReplyDelete